This blog post will show you how to type the en dash symbol () in Microsoft Word, Apple Mac OS X, and on a keyboard.
The “en dash in word” is a punctuation mark that is used to separate words with different meanings. The en dash is also used in Windows, and Mac OS X. It can be typed on the keyboard by pressing Alt+0150.
This article will go through how to get the En Dash sign in Microsoft Word, Windows, and Mac, as well as how to use keyboard shortcuts.
You may grab this symbol by copying and pasting it from the button below before we start.
Shortcut for the En Dash Symbol (Windows)
The En Dash Symbol’s Alt Code shortcut is Alt + 0150. To type using this approach, press and hold one of your keyboard’s Alt keys while entering the Alt code on the numeric keypad, then release the Alt key.
This solution needs a separate numeric keypad with Num Lock activated on your keyboard. It is also only compatible with Windows.
Alt codes are used in Windows to enter symbols or characters that aren’t found on the keyboard.
When attempting to write special characters, this strategy is highly useful since it saves a large amount of time.
The full procedures to enter this symbol on Windows using the Alt Code keyboard shortcut are as follows:
- Open the document where you’ll be typing the symbol.
- The cursor should be placed where you want it to be.
- One of your Alt Keys should be pressed and held.
- While holding down the Alt key, input the En Dash Alt code on the right numeric keypad (0150)
- After inputting the code, release the alt key.
The En Dash sign will show as soon as you let go of the Alt key.
In order for the En Dash Alt Code to operate, the following requirements must be fulfilled.
- You must hold down the Alt key before inputting the code.
- You must use the numeric keypad on the right side of the keyboard to input the alt code.
- Because you’re using a 10-key numeric keypad, you’ll need to enable NumLock. The number keys become disabled when NumLock is turned off, and you won’t be able to input any numbers.
- If your laptop doesn’t have a numeric keypad, you’ll have to first enable the hidden numeric keypad. On most computers, you can switch it on by simultaneously hitting the Fn + NmLk buttons. Not every laptop has a concealed numeric keypad. You won’t be able to input symbols using the alt code approach unless you attach an external keyboard with a numeric keypad or use the on-screen keyboard if it doesn’t appear in yours. You may still utilize the other ways mentioned in this tutorial.
- You should also be aware that not all symbols can be entered with the alt code, depending on the text editor you’re using. Some of the alt codes are only recognized by Microsoft Word.
On a Mac, type in the en dash symbol.
On a Mac, you may use the Character Viewer to get the En Dash sign.
On a Mac, the Character Viewer allows you to insert special characters and symbols into text, such as arithmetic symbols, Latin letters, and pictographs.
To put this (–) or any other symbol on a Mac, follow the instructions below.
- Place your cursor on the text area where the symbol will be inserted.
- Press Control + Command + Space bar to bring up the Character Viewer. Alternatively, choose Edit > Emoji & Symbols.
- Press Enter after typing “En Dash” in the top search area.
- The insignia should be visible. To incorporate it into your text, just click on it.
These are the procedures for using the Character Viewer on Mac to insert this and any other symbol.
En Dash Sign Typing Shortcut (MS Word)
2013 Alt + X is the MS Word shortcut for typing the En Dash symbol.
While the Alt code and Mac shortcuts listed above may be used to input this symbol in any application, including Microsoft Word, this shortcut is only available in Word.
To utilize this shortcut, open your Microsoft Word document, place the insertion cursor where you wish to enter the En Dash sign, and then just follow the steps below:
- Simply put 2013 into the search box.
- Then hit Alt + X at the same time.
- If it still doesn’t work, highlight the code and hit the Alt and X keys at the same time.
The symbol shows in place of the Unicode when you press Alt + X after entering it.
From the Office Symbol Library, insert the En Dash Symbol.
If using the keyboard isn’t your thing, you can also acquire the En Dash sign in Office products like Microsoft Word, Excel, or PowerPoint by using the mouse.
We’ll use screenshots from Microsoft Word to demonstrate the processes. In Excel and PowerPoint, though, you may apply the same way.
Here are the measures to take without further ado:
- Open Microsoft Word, Excel, or PowerPoint.
- Place your cursor where you want it.
- Select the Insert tab from the drop-down menu.
- Select More Symbols from the drop-down menu after clicking the Symbols button in the Symbols group.
After that, the Symbol window will display. There are a million symbols in it, including the En Dash sign.
- In the symbol library, look for the En Dash symbol.
Use the Subset dropdown option to view various sorts of symbols to quickly discover this symbol. The En Dash symbol may be found in the Subset list under the General Punctuation group.
However, typing Unicode 2013 in the Character code text field is the quickest method to acquire this symbol. The En Dash sign will be filtered out and picked after you input the Unicode.
- Simply double-click it to put it into your document. Alternatively, you may use the Insert key.
- The Dialog is now closed.
If you carefully follow the procedures above, you may use Word to enter the En Dash sign or any other symbol or character that is not accessible on the keyboard.
En Dash Symbol Copy and Paste
This is by far the most straightforward method of obtaining any symbol, including the En Dash.
Simply copy the symbol someplace, such as a web page, and then move to the document where you need it and hit Ctrl + V.
You may copy the symbol by clicking on it below.
The instructions below will teach you how to copy this symbol from the Character Map if you have a Windows PC.
- Search for the Character Map app and open it.
- Select the Advance View checkbox beside the button to see additional Character map possibilities.
- A search box may be found in the Advanced view. Press Enter after typing En Dash.
- In the search results, the symbol will display.
- Simply pick it in the Characters to copy text box with a double click and then press the Copy button.
It might be tough to get symbols that do not have keys on the keyboard.
It should no longer be a challenging job with the help of the techniques and directions given here.
Thank you for taking the time to read through our information.
The “microsoft word dash vs hyphen” is a term that you may use to describe the en dash symbol. The en dash is a type of punctuation mark that can be used in Microsoft Word, Windows, and Mac.
- how to type em dash without numpad
- how to type an em-dash on laptop
- how to make a long dash in word on mac
- how to type an em dash on mac
- em dash copy paste